Sunday, September 24, 2006

Blogging In The Blackout!

Greetings from southern California. I am currently sitting in my pitch dark hotel room while crews replace a downed power line and possibly a transformer.

From what I have learned, this is the story so far. Power line snaps, falls across street, starts fire in field right in front of hotel, (I watched that part) an 8 x 8 block area then goes dark. The police block off the whole area not letting any cars in. Anyone out in the world eating dinner are now trapped on the outside of the line. I am stuck at the hotel with not a single source of light. The emergency hall and stair lights have exhausted their batteries and it is just flat black everywhere! The last estimate is that it will be at least 6 more hours until they get the lights back on. The hotel does not have any flashligts or alternate source of lighting for the guests. I don't care myself, but you know that there are people down at the front desk right now demanding their money back as I type this.

It is at this point you start to realize just how much we depend on electricity. A shudder runs through me as I try to imagine life after my cell phone goes dead! It being my only entertainment and source of light makes it pretty important right now. "Why the hell am I typing this to you guys???". "I need to save the battery for myself!"

Someone just tried their key in my door!

Well, I guess I will do the only thing left to do... Call 911 and tell them how uncomfortable I am sitting here in the dark!

Or... Go to sleep.

No comments: