Friday, June 03, 2005

Greetings From Redding California!

Well here I sit in my fine 'La Quinta' hotel room digesting a Big Mac sitting in a really uncomfortable chair wishing I was home... Again! I often wonder at times like this, what I was thinking when I chose this career path! Lots of people only stay in hotel rooms when they go on vacation! I shudder to think what my life total of hotel room nights would be if I actually added them up. I know I have at least spent an entire year of my life sleeping in a hotel room somewhere on this planet! Jesus! That is 365+ unwrapped bars of little soap!

The weather has been sunny and hot here with a pretty strong wind from the North. Job wise, everything is on auto pilot, so mental stimulation is hard to come by. I stopped by the book store and grabbed some new reading material on the way home, so I'll dig into one of those tonight.

I will take this moment to pass on a Hotel Tip from a veteran of living out of a suitcase. When checking in, you might be tempted to take a room on the lower floors because you don't want to haul your heavy luggage any further than you have too. WRONG! Number one rule, is get on the top floor. In the usual business traveler hotel, this is the 3rd or 4th floor and is really not that much work to get to. The logic here is that the up all night, door slamming, TV cranked on high, shooting the shit with the drunk buddies, wrestling on the floor, running children until 2am assholes will be below you and not right over your bed! Though I have no scientific data to back this next statement up, let me say that sound in hotels ONLY travels down. I know, it is strange but true, that all of the above mentioned noise will not even be noticed by you as long as you are above it. There you go!

Now for the Hotel bitch of the night... Every one of these places puts the Air Conditioner so that it blows directly onto the fancy internet enabled, two line phone adorned, placard covered desk that is your only source of enjoyment since there is nothing but crap on TV. This forces you to turn off the A/C while you work on your computer, and while in California, in the summer, this usually results in a quite warm room within a short time. I think you get my point.

2 comments:

MeatSlayer said...

I feel your pain!!!! No Really I will be in the same hotel feeling the same pain on Sunday... Another tip for the hotel dweller. Make sure to check the inside of the coffee pot for "HAIR", most of the hotels put the coffee pot in the bathroom where people blow dry there hair causing it to land somewhere???????

Anonymous said...

we just got back from from vaca and the weather was so so, just good to get away. hope you dont have to be in the motel to long, say were is the mouse story!!!rotgut