Thursday, June 16, 2005

Blast From The Past!

Well, in case you ever wondered what I might have been doing 15 years ago, here is your chance. Back in 1990 and 1991 I and a friend had an online Humor Magazine. Back then, we are talking before the internet people, there were things called BBS's. These Bulletin Board Systems were where you went to swap files and interact with other nerds. The only problem with the BBS concept was that only one person could be on the BBS at a time! I would type something, log off, someone else would get on and type a reply, I would log on and read the reply. This was all done over a 300 baud modem! To get an idea of the speed of this very high tech item (and expensive I might add, over $200 dollars 1990 for the first ones!) I could type faster than it could send and echo back! I would type a sentence and then sit back and watch the letters appear on the screen! Later on some really fancy BBS sites would let 10 or more people be online at a time, but these usually cost money. Anyway, Owen and I would scour Usenet and gather as many jokes as we could. (Usenet is considered to be a precursor to the internet and is now commonly referred to as News Groups Feeds) We would take the jokes we found, edit them and release a printable, ready for download, version we called the "BBS Humor Digest". We kept this up for a year and a half and even received letters (remember, before email too) from around the world from people who looked forward to reading this thing! After doing a Google search I found some issues still posted on the net and I provide a link above for your reading pleasure.

Have fun, and remember... Don't Screw Up The Punch Line!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your early comedy digest was very good......I enjoyed the jokes. They are still funny today! ..Wonder Woman