Saturday, June 16, 2012

Every Time A Smoker Dies An Angel Gets His Wings

A little less than 2 years ago I purchased my first smoker.  I was told to get a propane heated version but they did not sell them here in Boise, and I needed it NOW.  The reason I was told to get a propane version was unclear to me at first but soon it became apparent.

A smoker fills up with lots of  GREASE over the course of a long smoking summer.  An electric smoker never gets hot enough to burn this grease off.  The grease is hard to clean up!  Despite this shortcoming I was looking forward to yet another summer of smoking goodness, and then a wind storm came through.

Classic Kuna.  We have a wind storm every 2 weeks during the spring and we'd done all the usual things to ensure the backyard held together.  The one thing I overlooked was the smoker.  Over the din of 30 mile per hour winds comes the 50 mile per hour gust and away goes the smoker!  It tumbled about 3 times and expired right there in front of me.  Her door torn off, the electronic controls crushed  and what was once a nice rectangular box now was misshapen and lifeless.

We wrapped her in a plastic bag and dumped her in the trash.  Amen.

With the mourning process over I present the replacement smoker: The LANDMANN USA 3405GW 34" Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker.  (name changed to protect the innocent)

Note modification: The Searcy Swap.


Since this is propane heated I will be able to crank it up and burn off the grease.  It will NEVER look this clean again however.


It is now time to season the beast!

No comments: