Sunday, January 16, 2011

After Dinner

Two hours out, one thousand miles down and the dinner has been consumed. I see the desert cart being prepared from my up close and personal location mere feet from the galley. Dinner was a chicken breast with vegetables, salad and a roll. All good. Desert looks to be an ice cream sundae.

We've had smooth sailing for the last hour and I've either been typing to you all or playing Angry Birds.

After a pause to partake in desert I notice that the desert cart is heading back into storage as the clean up begins. It is minus 57 degrees outside as we cruise along at 32,000 feet. This is where a certain blessed group of people begin to turn over and go to sleep! I don't seem to have this gift and at best I might be able to pull off a 45 minute cat nap. There is a sign that says "lay flat seats" are coming soon to Delta. I have high hopes for that day. Until then I'll do what I always do... Try real hard to sleep but never quite pull it off.

Just watched them crank up the heat. This is done so the overfed traveller becomes nappy allowing the crew to scarf down their dinners. Lights dimmed, shades drawn. If you're not "a sleeper" it's kind of sad as you realize the entertainment portion of the show has concluded.

I wait patiently as the rush for the bathrooms is now in full swing. Little bottles of water are handed out to help you battle the dry air. The entertainment system reboots as it will do several more times before we land. Some people groan as their movies blank out and must be restarted after much fast-forwarding.

I'm off to do some reading and maybe a nap.

P.S. My next door seat mate (the one who ate all of the nuts and will be known as 'Rocket Man' from here on out) is a sleeper! I'm SO happy for him.

No comments: