Sunday, January 16, 2011

30,000 feet with Moderate Chop

Using my new iPad (Christmas gift. Thanks Deb!) I'm typing this entry with one finger while I'm swaying "quite a bit" in ever increasing turbulence. The pilot mentioned something about the jet stream and "about an hour" but the announcement was nowhere loud enough for me to make out. I see food being arrayed on carts but there is little hope of it being delivered any time soon.

1H is my seat number as I begin my 11 hours of air captivity on my way to Tokyo. They did get some nuts out to us before the real shaking began and for that I am thankful. We are just leaving the northern tip of Vancouver island as The pilot has asked the flight attendants "to take your seats."

I am finding it comical how hard it is to hit the right buttons during all of this. Thank goodness for the built in spell check! I know some of my travel friends are not big fans of mid air movement and my look back down the aisle to survey them has produced the expected looks of displeasure.

From door to door today's journey to Hong Kong will take a little over 24 hours. It only gets bad the last 8 as my body begins to unveil new ways to notify me of it's displeasure. I've done this enough times to know what to expect so it has gotten easier over the years.

The plane has been working up and down looking for smooth air. We've had a few moments that I'd call "better" and a few I'd call "worse."

The bell sounds, the flight crew jumps up and the air smooths out!

My seat mate (an obvious novice) has eaten three servings of the mixed nuts. He will pay a hefty price for that later I assure you!

They are beginning to bring out the food so I must close this entry.

No comments: