Monday, September 22, 2008

Day Two

I decided to try a Discovery Scuba class while on vacation... and now I'm hooked. Here I am in my form fitting half suit. I have 18 pounds of weight strapped around my waist and I'm trying to stay calm.

Step One: head out into the shallow water and learn the rules and the safety procedures.

Having passed the first part with not a hint of panic I head out to open water for the real dive.

Now this part was a tad bit tricky for me. We slowly descend down this rope and every 2 feet all I have to do is get my ears to pop to equalize the pressure. The trouble is that all of the techniques I have been taught don't seem to be doing the job, and we are stuck about 10 feet down with my ears hurting. At some point I make the motion of yawning with my jaw and "Whoosh!" everything is equal! From that point on it is smooth sailing to the bottom.

Wow, I'm breathing underwater!

I am being asked how much pressure I still have in my tank. I seemed to do well, and by taking controlled, slow breaths I was able to stay down for 45 minutes on the first dive.

Amelia is a Dive Master and was my instructor.

No comments: