Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pool Cover Surfing

Let me start out this entry with a reminder; Deb does not like mice. But apparently, mice really DO like Deb, because they go to great lengths to get her attention!

Last week we finished swimming at around 9:00pm and it was time to close the cover. I stood by the pool drying off and Deb worked the cover switch over by the house. As the cover makes it's way across the pool, I hear Deb ask, "What is that?"

I squint at the approaching lip of the cover to view something small, and it's moving...

And there it is. Perfectly centered, head held high, flashing a big smile and working a parade wave, (obviously to Deb) sits a field mouse.

Now I have seen Titanic, and Kate Winslet has nothing on this mouse! I stood at the far end of the pool as the cover lip approached, waving my arms in hopes that I could prevent a panic induced swan dive. He rode the cover the whole way! As the cover came to a close, the mouse seemed disappointed that the ride was over, turned around and walked all the way back to the other end of the pool. He did a small jump (I think it was a bow) and dropped down into the slot where the cover mechanics are.

Now I am faced with the reality that the mouse probably has set up house keeping in the fore mentioned slot. This weekend will bring further investigation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope the little mouse doesn't get stuck in the pool cover mechanisms... That would be very sad. Hopefully you can get him out with no harm done.