Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tornado In Vancouver, Washington

An enthusiastic storm watcher, Nye said he was amazed he was not hurt in the ordeal.

“It is one of the most remarkable experiences I’ve ever seen. I’ve always wanted to see one, but never wanted to be in one, Nye said. “I thought Wizard of Oz, here we come.”

Connie Storey said she was suddenly surrounded by at least 15 downed trees and power lines in her Hazel Dell neighborhood.

“I was literally holding on to the fence for dear life and my dog… he leaned against the fence as well and put his head against my legs and we just held on. The amount of stuff that blew by me was pretty intense,” she said.

I heard the sound-wave first… I walked outside and noticed a really dark cloud. I had a camera phone but I was too nervous and freaked out so I ran inside the house,” said area resident Paul Robinson. “It sounded like a jet aircraft right outside my house, the whole house was vibrating in and out.”

The last time a tornado hit the Vancouver area was back in April 5th, 1972. That tornado was more severe, a level F-2. It flattened buildings, threw boats onto land, and sent massive amounts of debris flying. An F-2 storm has winds up to 157 miles an hour.

Click Blog Link for live video feed from KGW News!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My house is right near where the tornado touched down... I'm so thankful that it didn't sweep by my house! Is's crazy how many trees are down and all the damage! WOW...