Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Book

I arrive home in Boise by plane. On the way to pick up my luggage I by custom stop at my favorite book store and check out the 'half off' rack. After a few moments of browsing I find an interesting book "The Haunting." I purchase the book, stuff it in my bag and head home.

At around 9:00 pm I decide it is time to head up and get ready for bed. My new book has been sitting on a table under a bright light for the last 4 hours.

I grab the book in one hand and my 40+ pound suitcase in the other. As I hit the bottom of the stairs I decide it would be easier to turn off the lights at the bottom, since the switch at the top will be on the "suitcase" hand side. This I do, and with a flick I am plunged into total darkness.

We have all been there, the moments of utter blindness right after you turn off all of the lights. I know the stairs however and begin trudging up them with purpose, as the suitcase does not allow for anything less. At about the third step my eyes begin to adjust and I sense a light coming from the book hand!


With a start I look at my right hand and glowing brightly is this photo! I am not prepared, and this thing catches me off guard! I fling the book and make a less than macho sound. The suitcase suddenly represents something that will slow me down from my escape! I am off balance, pumped full of adrenaline as I realize the book has a glow-in-the-dark cover and I am just being stupid. Even with that it takes just about all of my strength to right myself and retain the suitcase. I finish my trip up the stairs and come back down (with the light on!) to retrieve the book.

I am hoping the read turns out to be as good as my stair fright!

No comments: