Thursday, September 07, 2006

Panama Update

Here is the latest news from Colon:

- I had a pretty good battle last night with food poisoning. Thank goodness for modern medicine is all I can say! My stomach was a tad bit sensitive this morning and I was sleepy from being up most of the night, but I just got done cramming a ton of rice and chicken into my gut and all seems well again.

- We are scheduled to go on a tour all day tomorrow to see the Embera Indians: This is one of the most popular local day tours.This is the real thing- right out of the pages of National Geographic- an authentic, unforgettable encounter with a living Indian culture. An hour and half from Panama City, take a motorized canoe (the only means of transportation in the jungle) to ascend the river to an authentic Embera Indian village along a river bank. During your stay, the Indians will share their native foods, perform tribal dances, show you how they weave their intricate baskets and explain their way of life, culture and beliefs. We'll keep you posted.

- Deb and I are starting to get a bit worried as both of us are running low on books to read! There is just something about sitting out in the rain (under cover of course) and reading, but this has consumed our stash of reading material and there are no new sources of books in the area. Trust me, we have looked.

- After a week of travel, we have now filled a huge duffel bag with shall I say used clothes. We attempt to allow the wettest of items to dry as best they can before we stuff them into the bag, but I don't think that has helped much. Let me just say that I pity the TSA guy who gets the job of searching that bag!

- We have been visiting a tree out by the pool for several days where we have been watching a 3 toed sloth. The trouble has been that every time we go out with cameras in hand the creature is all curled up into a ball. Well yesterday was the day, we get there and Mr. (or Mrs.) sloth is hanging upside down all stretched out and smiling for the camera. I will post a photo soon.

No comments: