Monday, December 26, 2005

Tree Strike Update...

Today was the day to begin clearing the tree from the deck and dealing with the hole in the roof. Water began dripping from the heat vent in the bedroom around 9:00 pm last night. I had placed a plastic bin up in the attic to avoid this very event, but after crawling up there again late last night I discovered several other holes in the wood, including the one that was producing all of the water. After some new bins were added, and some towels laid down the dripping stopped inside and there appears to be no sheetrock damage.

So after a restless night, we hit it early this morning, cutting up the tree and removing the debris to a large pile.

All of this came off of the deck!

I had spent almost a half hour calling places to get someone to come out and fix the roof but not a single place was open. It was then that my next door neighbor came to the rescue! "I can help you fix your roof." It was a few minutes later and he is up on the roof like it was nothing. I assure you that I do not have what it takes to get up on our roof, way too high! (How high is it Rick?) After about 2 hours of work and a trip to Home Depot we are in much better shape! Tomorrow I am going to pick up the roof shakes that match our current color and we will be done with the roof repair.

It doesn't look that bad...

but trust me, it was.

Todd the neighbor cut out the bad fiberboard, replaced it with new, positioned new felt paper and re-attached the old tiles until tomorrow. As soon as we finished up the interim repairs it started to pour down rain! Tomorrow we'll pull off the bad tiles, replace with the new ones, and it will be as good as new. Thank You Todd!

The deck does not look any worse for the wear...

Well, maybe a little bit worse!

Well not too much longer now and I can start to relax on my vacation... Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful neighbor!
You were lucky he had a kind heart to help you on his time off