Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Chipper Comes To Life!

I was recently bequeathed a chipper/shredder. This fine machine is designed for use on limbs and yard debris. This said device was recently brought home, and planning began on how to get the monster running. The previous owner had not used the chipper since last summer and the gas needed a tad bit of freshening, so I headed to the gas station, and bought "the good stuff." upon arriving home with the gas last night I eagerly filled the empty tank, opened the garage door to fresh air and planting both feed firmly, attempted to spin the engine. I pulled... And instead of the rope feeding out of the machine and the beast roaring to life, the 90 pound anchor just slides across the garage floor! As I was sure I had just pulled my arm out of it's socket, I walked around a bit before attempting the pull start again. This time I really took it by the numbers: Throttle on high - check. Choke on - check. Foot placed up against the tire - check. Firm grip on handle - check. Pull out on rope slowly until you feel the compression - check. YANK! This time the thing stayed put, but my hand flew off of the handle and passed my head on the right! CRAP! "I'm sure I just pulled my elbow out of it's socket!" I head back into the house and spend a little time with the manual, certain I was doing it right, but what the hell, my arm could use the rest.

Two more times I headed out to the garage and flat exhausted myself trying to get the 8 horse power engine to show me some sign of life! I finally shut the door, turn off the garage light and leave in disgust. I decide to name the chipper... Hell Spawn!

This morning: I have not slept well due to the soreness in my body from the battle fought and lost the night before. Today it will happen, I have a new plan. I find the starter fluid on the shelf and apply it as directed. The pulling is no easier, but this time there is the unmistakable sound of a combustion engine... For almost a whole second. This repeats many times. Spray, pull, Blap, Blap, blup, blu, PAAaaaaaaa...... I start to think that maybe the thing will never start! I decide to pull just one more time, because frankly that is all I have left. Spray, pull, Blap, Blap, BlaBlaBlap, and it's running! It's sick and uneven, but it's running! With tears running down my face I slide back the choke as "Hell Spawn" starts getting it together! After much smoke, and a crazy vibration dance that moves the machine several feet across the garage floor, the arm stretcher is finally running smoothly.

Soon I am out behind the house feeding all manner of plant material into the various openings of 'Hell Spawn." All of it is reduced to dust! I am happy and sleepy. I must go now, and ice down my shoulder before I go to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, first they move out into the boonies, then he buys a chipper. Is anybody else feeling just a little uneasy? To understand what concernes me, just pop in the movie "Fargo" and watch it again.

Just messin with ya.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick... sounds like this "bad boy" gave you quite a tussle. The gas in the tank was not bad... perhaps it had just aged a bit, like a fine wine.

... glad you got it started!