Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Roomba Rocks!

Well I can officially call the Roomba a hit. Every one I have talked to about this little monster either wants one, or has to come over and see it do the vacuum dance. Every morning now when I leave for work, I pick up the remote and press clean. We are only at 50% success when it comes to the Roomba making it back to the charging station on its own. The problem lies in the fact that the upstairs is so large and I am letting the robot go too far from it's base station to find it's way back. There is no harm done as the roomba just shuts off and waits for a free ride back to the charger. I have dumped the bin of floor goodies everyday and I marvel at the amount of cat hair and litter it is picking up. No harm has come to any of the furniture but I must warn you that the roomba is quite strong! We have a small light wooden bench and while I was watching it clean it went under this bench. When it got to the legs on one side the bench it just starting moving it down the wall. Since the bench was not heavy enough to slow the roomba, it just thought the resistance was thick carpet. 15 feet later the vacuum decided to head in another direction and dropped the bench off in the middle of the room. The bench has subsequently been relocated to a new home in a roomba free zone.

The Link will take you to a shootout of the latest robotic vacuums on the market today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick, I'm Margaret Whitten's cousin's daughter - Anne - from the UK. You may have heard of me - or maybe not. I too got a Roomba last year - best thing I ever bought - though mine doesn't find it's way back to the charger - just stops and blips and waits for me to carry it back.
ps any recent news from Costa Rica ?