Monday, March 28, 2005

Saturday Night @ 8:30...

Pouring rain, dark, wind, the whole area is a giant mud pit... And there is a flashing red light and a loud buzzer emitting from the side of the house! It is the 'Whitewater System' (read highly complicated septic tank with more lights and monitors than my computer) and something is wrong with it. I don a pair of old shoes that I never plan on wearing again, grab a flashlight and head out into the deluge. I arrive at the box and read in the dim flashlight beam, "Warning High Voltage.' Below that is a small switch that reads "Silent - Alarm'. The switch is currently on the alarm setting and as I move it to the left the alarm is silenced but the light is still going. With nothing left to do, I head back to the house wondering if I only have 15 minutes until raw sewage begins pumping out of the downstairs toilet! Later I looked over to the other new house and saw that they too had a red warning light going on the side of their house.

Today I called the service people and a man was dispatched out to the house. The diagnosis: The heavy rain had run over the top of one of the 'system domes' and flooded it, thus drowning the blower motor and shorting out the system. The neighbors 'Crap Trap' had even more problems but all of the parts I needed were ripe for the picking and were moved by the repair guy over to my system so that it is now working fine. The neighbors however, will have to wait until tomorrow for the required parts.

Well I must 'go' now as I have a very important 'job' I need to get started on!

No comments: