Friday, March 11, 2005

Foggy In H.K.

Woke up this morning to the sounds of fog horns. Thick as pea soup outside, add 98% humidity and 70 degrees and you have a sticky day! We are now done seeing people. It is time to write some orders. Got lost in a cab looking for the last place. After many cell phone calls and wild gesturing with the driver we finally got there. Spent the afternoon pounding out 4 P.O.'s so I think this trip will go well. Still have many more to write but this is a good start. Went to a place tonight that specializes in carving things out of mammoth tusks. These tusks are imported from Siberia and are 10 to 60 thousand years old. A small hand carved figurine about the size of a book of matches is about 130 dollars U.S. There were tusks 8+ feet long in there, all carved with the minutest details, had to cost in the 10's of thousands of dollars! I held a tusk in my hand that dated 40 thousand years old. Pretty wild place. Sat in the shop and talked to the guy for about 20 minutes and he told how the tusks were found and how long it took to carve the different types of items, very interesting. I sadly left with no tusky items as they were just too much money, but still worth the visit to the store. I am off to do some reading and go to sleep. Just 4 more days and I am headed home! Yup, I am ready!

1 comment:

MeatSlayer said...

Were the roads made of cobble stone and could you drink a beer in the cab?????? I miss Mexico!